Whoever you are, you can take steps to save energy this Christmas!
Last Christmas break, between 24 Dec – 3 Jan, while many of us were at home relaxing and full of Christmas cheer, the university consumed 533,561 kWh… enough energy to cook 66,700 roast dinners!
However, 30% of this could have been saved.
With your help we think we can reduce this, saving energy and money.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
Here are some useful tips:
- Unplug all non-essential electrical appliances e.g. TV, microwave
- Close all the windows
- Turn heating off completely
- Make sure all the taps are turned off
- Clean out the fridge/freezer and check nothing is left in it
- Turn off the lights when you leave
- Dispose of all recycling and rubbish
You may want to pull together a Christmas shutdown procedure for your office or department – agreeing who will be responsible for doing these things before you all leave.
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year from all in the Environment Team!